Wherever you live presents a different challenge. In the city, you learn to be street smart. In rural areas, you need to be wildlife savvy. It is important to put it all in perspective.
- Since 1890 there have been only 20 fatal attacks in the US and Canada. Fifty-seven percent of those occurred in British Columbia, even while mountain lion hunting is legal there.
- You are 40,000 times more likely to die in a motor vehicle crash than be killed by a mountain lion.
- You are 4,000 times more likely to drown than killed by a mountain lion.
- You are 1,500 times more likely to be killed by a firearm than by a mountain lion..
- You are 50 times more likely to be killed by lightning than by a mountain lion.
- You are 10 times more likely to be killed by a domestic dog than by a mountain lion.
- It is more dangerous to walk the streets of any US city at night than it is to live and hike in mountain lion country.